Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Plattsburgh, NY?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in Plattsburgh and you still have time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors helps ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on your energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Inspect your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to eliminate air from leaking in when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can be harsh on exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Check for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of defense from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you could be paying more than necessary to heat your home. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Plattsburgh at 518-310-2118.