There is a point every Plattsburgh winter when you can’t seem to find the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and frosty, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to pinpoint your Plattsburgh home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with functional abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only operate as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Plattsburgh to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Plattsburgh a call at 518-310-2118 with any further questions or prospective replacement needs.