How to Properly Clean Windows in Plattsburgh, NY
A window gives you a beautiful view to the outdoors, lets light in and helps protect your home from harsh weather. That means your windows see a lot of action. From dirt, water and pollen on the outside to little hands or pets on the inside, your windows’ glass gets dirty pretty quick. Luckily, window cleaning is fairly simple.
You can clean your original replacement windows in just a few easy steps. Many Pella windows have innovative features that make it easier for you to clean the exterior glass from the inside. Here’s our window cleaning process.
- Brush off your window sills. You want to get rid of the dirt, dust and anything else that is stuck on the window sills and ledges to prevent dirtying the glass later on.
- Now’s the best time to clean the screens, too. Simply run your vacuum’s dusting brush attachment over the side facing in.
- Use a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (make your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water), and apply to a soft, clean, lint-free cloth or paper towel. Alternatively, you may use an ammonia-free glass cleaner such as Pella's glass cleaner, Windex® or Sparkle®. Spray the cleaner generously, but try to prevent cleaning solutions from getting on the wood, fiberglass or vinyl frames, as they may discolor the finish.
- Rub from each direction and let air dry.
- Rinse with clean water if streaks remain after cleaning.
For the best view, we’d also recommend cleaning your windows on a cloudy day. Sunshine can dry the cleaning solution too quickly, leaving streaks on your window glass. Your Pella professionals in Plattsburgh prefer using microfiber cloths to clean window glass since it’s lint-free and will not leave tiny particles behind.
Your windows could look so good, you might forget the glass is even there. Now that’s what we call a fantastic view.
Please note: You should not use ammonia- or alcohol-based glass cleaners. These solutions will leave streaks or produce a film that attracts moisture and dust. See your owner’s manual to learn more about cleaning other parts of your wood windows, vinyl windows or fiberglass windows, or contact your Pella Windows Showroom in Plattsburgh.