Kitchen Remodeling Dos and Donts
Kitchen remodeling was one of the most desired home projects in 2017 and it’s a great way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before tearing out the cabinets and pulling up the floors. Remember these do’s and don’ts to achieve the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor is the least expensive.
- Determine your kitchen must-haves—is energy efficiency important to you? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want technologically-advanced appliance controls?
- Figure out what the most sensible floor plan would be for your kitchen space. Keep it functional and efficient with adequate storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your house. What is the purpose of your space? How do you spend most of your time in the kitchen? Cooking? Entertaining? Relaxing with your family?
- Store all your receipts. Save the receipts in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most critical things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen working efficiently for years to come.
- Forget your budget! Stay on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are most important to you. We suggest budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you believe you’ll need so you can cover unpredictable costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to consider windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can tie in an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important aspects of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and deliver you a gateway to the outdoors, which really feels nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 518-310-2118, check out our Plattsburgh showroom or arrange an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you choose the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.