Looking for New Windows in Your Plattsburgh, NY Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When buying windows for your home improvement or new construction project, you obviously want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you evaluate your options, think about these facts:
- Windows can affect the interior and exterior appearance of your Plattsburgh area home.
- Your window choice can make a positive difference in your home’s energy bills.
- The material and durability of your windows can have a positive cost impact on the long-term value of your Plattsburgh area home if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to research the style and function choices available, you will be pleased with your purchase and love the pleasure of viewing the outside world through your new windows for many years.
What questions should you consider when purchasing replacement windows for your Plattsburgh home?
- Will my new windows look good on my house? Consider the fact that your family and guests are going to see your replacement windows most often from in the home, not outside of it. Observe your current windows or opening from inside and study the view carefully; is the color, style and type of window suitable with your home’s interior? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? Can light flow into the home? And don’t neglect to stand outside from multiple viewing positions to determine if the style of replacement window you are considering fits with the look of your Plattsburgh home.
- How energy efficient are the windows? Get the facts relating to your windows that relate to their energy efficiency. Items to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values identify the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify ratings of efficiency as you conduct your research to help bring down heating and cooling expenses and receive the most value for your investment.
- How will my new windows function? Just like purchasing a new automobile, it is important to open and close your choice of window before you buy it. Can you open or shut the window easily? Will the window be easy to clean? Will the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window blinds or shades undisturbed? If the window will be an exit from the home during emergency situations in case of fire, be certain it opens easily and supplies an adequately-sized opening.
- Who will install the windows? Installing your windows is either blended with the overall purchase price or involves a third-party contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How easy is it to clean your new windows? The weather in the Plattsburgh area changes often. Wind, rain, sun and snow can have a negative impact on the appearance of the glass, especially on low quality windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles for an easier way of keeping your windows clean and looking great for years.
- What color and hardware options are available? Color options can reflect your style and enhances the overall appeal of your Plattsburgh home. Some window companies offer few exterior color choices. Determine what color schemes are in place for the windows you are considering. Don’t forget, there are many window hardware options that should match with other hardware options in your home, such as cabinets, faucets and even appliances.
- How much does a quality window cost? The philosophy ”you get what you pay for” applies to many products, and windows are no exception. The cheapest windows may not be your best buy. Shop around and compare. Price should be a factor, but not the only factor.
We invite you to visit Pella at the Plattsburgh area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 518-310-2118.