Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Plattsburgh, NY
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help increase the visual aesthetics in your home. One concern homeowners have with wood windows is the potential for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their nourishment from wood, which could cause homeowners a lot of headaches when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avert termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to eliminate or decrease the opportunity for termites to get in the immediate area of your home. Here are a few suggestions from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help lessen the probability of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or decaying wood. Termites will use this as a route to get to the house. Even more so for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also search for water and moisture, so it’s crucial to make sure your home, including small crawl spaces, are correctly ventilated and encourage air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Stuffed gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are nearby the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Many termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their greatest chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Plattsburgh has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers advanced protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can inspect your home for any existing termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help prevent any damage, visit the Plattsburgh showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our specialists give you a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 518-310-2118 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.